Texas Health & Human Services Commission (HHSC)
What is HHSC?
- Health and Human Services Commission
- State and federally funded agency
- administers programs to help people with disabilities and children who have developmental delays to live independent and productive lives
What sort of programs and services do they administer?
HHSC is organized into five divisions which administer a variety of programs:
- Aging – (all of DADs services went into this service including Care for People 60+, Long-term Care, Services For Caregivers).
- Disablility – (Includes Acquired Brain Injury, blind services, deaf and hard of hearing, ECI, CRS, IDD)
- Financial – (Includes CHIP, HIPP, disaster assistance, SNAP, Feed Texas, WIC, Texas Food Bank)
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse
- For a clearer explanation, visit: https://hhs.texas.gov/about-hhs/agencies-departments
What do you mean by “administer programs”?
HHSC Texas Health & Human Services Commission does not run any specific programs. Instead, they connect individuals with service providers who meet HHSC Texas Health & Human Services Commission criteria and, in most cases, secure funding.
I have a brain injury. What can HHSC do for me?
The HHSC Texas Health & Human Services Commission administers the following:
- Comprehensive Rehabilitation Services:
helps Texans with traumatic spinal cord and brain injuries receive intensive therapies to increase independence.
- Independent Living Services:
- Concentrate on self-sufficiency and quality of life, even if work potential is limited.
- Promote self-sufficiency despite significant disability
- Provide people with disabilities with improved mobility, communication, personal adjustment and self-direction.
- Can include Supported Employment andTransition Planning
How do I get started?
By phone at:1-877-541-7905 OR dial 2-1-1 and select Option 2
Their website: https://hhs.texas.gov
In person – Below is a list of the San Antonio Offices:
- San Antonio Field Office Central
1107 Navarro, (210)228-2280
- San Antonio Field Office North
12000 Network Blvd., Ste. 210, (210)516-8600
- San Antonio Field Office Northeast
10303 Nacogdoches (210)650-0943
- San Antonio Field Office South
941 Pleasanton Rd., (210)927-8300
- San Antonio Field Office West
5309 Wurzbach, Ste. 102, (210)522-8010
- San Antonio Regional Office
8610 Broadway, Suite 310, (210)805-2200